Hockey Skating Lessons
Summer 2023 Series On Sale Now!
Eight Week Series - July 13th to September 2nd
- The program is divided into three levels: Hockey 1, Hockey 2, and Hockey 3, with corresponding increasing levels of difficulty. A few examples are listed below and required for each level, in order for each skater to move on to the next level.
- Hockey 1 is open to children ages 5 and up and is an introductory class to the fundamentals of hockey skating. It is heavily recommended for children to have completed a Learn to Skate class at the: Tot or Youth Beginner 1 Learn to Skate, or another comparable class at another rink.
- FULL HOCKEY GEAR REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN HOCKEY 2 AND 3 - PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF PROPER EQUIPTMENT
- No sticks allowed in Hockey 1. However based on the skill level improvement the use of a stick may be introduced at some point in the Hockey 1 series.
- Skate Rental is Not Included in the enrollment fee. Skate Rental purchase is available on the Day Smart platform under Passes in the Membership/Passes page.
- Upon completion of Hockey 3, skaters will have the option of joining the Oakland Bears In-House Hockey League.
- NO CREDITS OR REFUNDS - ALL SALES ARE FINAL
- Sit on ice and stand up
- Proper basic stance
- Balance – reach up, touch
- March forward, two foot glide
- Scooter pushes, right and left
- Forward swizzles, 4-6 in a
- Snowplow stop, one foot or
- Backward wiggles
- Two-foot hop in place
- Backward stance and gliding
- Skating forward using full
- Forrward one-foot glides, right and
- Backward swizzles, 4-6 in a row
- Forward C-cuts, right and left
- Glide turns – 2 feet, both directions
- Moving snowplow
- Forward slalom
- Moving two-foot turn
- Lateral marching crossovers
- Forward stop and start
- Backward C-cuts, right and left
- Backward one-foot glide, right and left
- Backward V-stop
- Hockey turns, right and
- Forward one-foot pushes on a circle
- Forward crossovers
- Hockey stop
- Forward lunge, right and left
- Dalziel Garage: Free parking is available for all OIC patrons at the Dalziel Garage on 15th Street between San Pablo and Clay Streets (1 block from the rink—see map below) from 4pm to 1am Friday evening and Saturday from 8am to 1am. Please make sure to request validation upon entering the garage in order to receive free parking during these hours.
- 18th & San Pablo Surface Lot: Parking is available in this lot for up to four hours, for a fee of $2 per hour. PARKING IS FREE IN THIS LOT ON SUNDAY.
- Street Parking: Metered 2-hour parking is enforced around our building on Friday until 6pm and Saturday from 8am to 6pm. STREET PARKING AFTER THESE HOURS AND ON SUNDAY IS FREE