Youth Hockey 1-2-3
Rink is closed for the foreseeable future due to county and state guidelines
When we have the greenlight from the County of Alameda to offer Learn to Skate classes for youth and adults we will have to follow some very strict guidelines. (Subject to change following county and state guidelines)
- Maximum of 36 skaters on the ice at a time.
- NO parents, caregivers or spectators are allowed in the rinks
- Your skater needs to know how to tie their own skates.
- If your skater owns their own skates, please put them on before entering the building.
- Due to the Social Distancing protocols set in place we do not recommend that children with no skating experience enroll.
- Youth skaters must be 7+ years of age.
- Each skater must be registered as an individual to verify their age.
- Campers and instructors only allowed in the building, parents must meet instructors outside.
- Health checks are required before entry to the building, and should a skater fail this test (including temperature over 100.4, exhibiting any symptoms for otherwise unexplained reasons, exposure to someone believed to have COVID in the past 14 days, etc.), they cannot attend camp that day.
- All Alameda County COVID standards apply (facemasks required for everyone over the age of 2, 6 foot social distances maintained whenever possible, etc.).
- Before enrolling please review our COVID 19 page HERE
- Our Pro Shop is open by APPOINTMENT ONLY
- Please send an email to [email protected] to book an appointment.
- This will include skate sharpening, skate fitting, and anything you may need. (Mittens, socks, skate guards for outside to walk into building with) etc.
- All social distancing procedures and masks will be required
This class is open to children ages 7 and up and is an introductory class to the fundamentals of hockey skating. It is heavily recommended for children to have already completed a skating class: Tots, Youth Beginner 1 Learn to Skate, or another comparable class at another rink.
- Skate rental is not included in the price of enrollment.
- A helmet is required and a jersey of their choice is welcome.
- Sticks are allowed but no pucks will be used.
- If you have full gear the skater is welcome to wear it.
The class is divided into three levels: Hockey 1, Hockey 2, and Hockey 3, with corresponding increasing levels of difficulty. A few examples are listed below and required for each level, in order for each skater to move on to the next level.
- Sit on ice and stand up
- March forward, two foot glide
- Snowplow stop, one foot or both
- Backward stance and gliding
- Skating forward using full strides
- Forward one-foot glides, right and left
- Forward stop and start
- Backward C-cuts, right and left
- Hockey turns, right and left
Upon completion of Hockey 3, skaters will have the option of joining the Oakland Bears In-House Hockey League. Kids are also given an opportunity to join the Cub Hockey Program.
We offer rental hockey equipment at no cost while the players are registered for classes (more information below).
- It is recommended to schedule an appointment to receive gear prior to the first day of class.
- Gear is distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
- ll borrowed gear must be returned at the end of the session unless they will be continuing in the next session.
- Please plan to arrive at a minimum of 60 minutes prior to the start of class to get your child dressed so he/she can be on the ice on time.
- 10% discount for Oakland Residents with valid ID
- 10% discount for a second sibling enrolling in a Hockey or Learn to Skate class of the same series.
Dalziel Garage: Free parking is available for all OIC patrons at the Dalziel Garage on 15th Street between San Pablo and Clay Streets (1 block from the rink—see map below) from 4pm to 1am Friday evening and Saturday from 8am to 1am. Please make sure to request validation upon entering the garage in order to receive free parking during these hours.
18th & San Pablo Surface Lot: Parking is available in this lot for up to four hours, for a fee of $2 per hour. PARKING IS FREE IN THIS LOT ON SUNDAY.
Street Parking: Metered 2-hour parking is enforced around our building on Friday until 6pm and Saturday from 8am to 6pm. STREET PARKING AFTER THESE HOURS AND ON SUNDAY IS FREE