WHEN WE RESUME ACTIVITY, WE WILL FINISH OUR WINTER CLASS LESSON SCHEDULE, AND THE SPRING SESSION WILL BEGIN IMMEDIATELY AFTER. WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCOMODATE REFUNDS UNTIL WE ARE BACK OPEN AND ABLE TO DETERMINE THE SCHEDULE MOVING FORWARD. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING DURING THIS TIME. STAY HOME AND STAY SAFE!
This class is open to children ages 5 (could start at 4 if they have participated in our Tiny Tot class lessons) and is an introductory class to the fundamentals of hockey skating. It is heavily recommended for children to have already completed a skating class: Tots, Youth Beginner 1 Learn to Skate, or another comparable class at another rink.
The class is divided into three levels: Hockey 1, Hockey 2, and Hockey 3, with corresponding increasing levels of difficulty. A few examples are listed below and required for each level, in order for each skater to move on to the next level.
- Sit on ice and stand up
- March forward, two foot glide
- Snowplow stop, one foot or both
- Backward stance and gliding
- Skating forward using full strides
- Forward one-foot glides, right and left
- Forward stop and start
- Backward C-cuts, right and left
- Hockey turns, right and left
Upon completion of Hockey 3, skaters will have the option of joining the Oakland Bears In-House Hockey League. Kids are also given an opportunity to join the Cub Hockey Program.
We offer rental hockey equipment at no cost while the players are registered for classes (more information below).
- It is recommended to schedule an appointment to receive gear prior to the first day of class.
- Gear is distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
- ll borrowed gear must be returned at the end of the session unless they will be continuing in the next session.
- Please plan to arrive at a minimum of 60 minutes prior to the start of class to get your child dressed so he/she can be on the ice on time.
- 10% discount for Oakland Residents with valid ID
- 10% discount for a second sibling enrolling in a Hockey or Learn to Skate class of the same series.
Dalziel Garage: Free parking is available for all OIC patrons at the Dalziel Garage on 15th Street between San Pablo and Clay Streets (1 block from the rink—see map below) from 4pm to 1am Friday evening and Saturday from 8am to 1am. Please make sure to request validation upon entering the garage in order to receive free parking during these hours.
18th & San Pablo Surface Lot: Parking is available in this lot for up to four hours, for a fee of $2 per hour. PARKING IS FREE IN THIS LOT ON SUNDAY.
Street Parking: Metered 2-hour parking is enforced around our building on Friday until 6pm and Saturday from 8am to 6pm. STREET PARKING AFTER THESE HOURS AND ON SUNDAY IS FREE